Thursday 2 June 2016

Damien Duff: Mourinho had always dreamt of managing United

The former Chelsea winger has opened up that his former boss had always wanted to manage United.

The Portuguese was snubbed after Sir Alex Ferguson hand picked David Moyes as his successor. The former Everton man only lasted eleven month, before been shown the exit at Old Trafford.

After his sack, Mourinho was again in the picture, but the United hierarchy decided to go for Van Gaal, who had just led the Dutch team to third position at the 2014 World Cup.

The Dutchman couldn't complete his initial three year season contract as he was sacked two years into his deal, Albeit after winning the FA Cup.
His failure to qualify for the Champions League was his greatest undoing, though his style of football and selection had always been under the microscope.

United confirmed Mourinho manager last Friday, but Duff thinks that was way late.

"I think he was the only man for the job three years ago, before Moyes went and then Van Gaal after. Duff said launch of RTÉ’s coverage of Euro 2016 via Independent.

"They can’t really afford to get it wrong again. I was a Man U fan growing up so they’re one of the biggest clubs in the world for me, but obviously they are a long, long way from it on the pitch.”

"I think it’s a marriage made in heaven. I know he always said Chelsea was his club and he went back a second time, but I think Man United is his club.

"He’s always dreamed of managing there. I think they give you time, as you can see with Moyes and Van Gaal probably too long.

"I think it’s meant to be and I’d like to see him at United similar to what Ferguson did before.'

/* Ad BELOW POST */
Share this article with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured