Thursday 25 February 2016

Sergio Romero: I'm always ready to play : Plus his best save at United so far

The United second choice keeper has been speaking ahead of the return leg of the Europa League match with FC Midtjylland.

The Argentine was called upon less than five minutes to kick off in the first leg of the tie, after De Gea's injury in the warmup.

Despite his low level of top preparation, he put in a great performance that kept United in the tie.

The goalkeeper recounted  how De Gea got injured in an interview with United Review.

“I’m fortunate to have a very calm head on my shoulders.

“I always have to be ready and w iting for my chance to play. I was helping David to warm up, then when he went down injured I didn’t get the chance for a proper warm-up because it was only five minutes until kick-off.

“But a lot of my game is based upon how I feel mentally. If I feel good and relaxed in my head, it’s not a problem; I can play without a proper warm-up, as if I’d been out there preparing for half-an-hour.

The goalkeeper was a little disappointed that his saves didn't get United a win, but must be hoping United will seal up their qualification tonight.

“I would have liked my saves to have helped the team more, and for the team to have taken
something from the game ahead of the second leg here at home. Unfortunately the saves didn’t count for a lot as we didn’t manage to come away with that positive result.

He also admitted that his second half save against Paul Onuachu's header was one of his all time personal best.

“It was one of the best I’ve made in my life." He commented on the save.

“There’s another save, when I was playing for Sampdoria against Roma, which was a lot like this one. Maybe the one back then didn’t ask quite as much of me but it was very similar in that my movement was almost exactly the same.

“They were both very nice occasions and they are the moments that tell me personally that I’m totally prepared for whenever my manager needs to call on me.”

/* Ad BELOW POST */
Share this article with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured